Last week we got back from our road trip to South Dakota. We went to visit friends and participate in the Sundance, a traditional Lakota ritual. For years the drums and the colors and the prayers have helped me to stay clear and focused in my life, to renew my energy and enthusiasm for life and to give thanks in a genuine way for all of the blessings. I see also that it affects the boys in a deep way as they become entirely entranced with the rhythms and seem to come away as changed as I feel afterwards.
As I packed our camping gear and plotted out our trip on the map, I thought I was on an unstoppable mission to get to South Dakota with minimal impact on the boys. It was clear even on the first night when we stopped at a rest area by La Veta pass for a picnic dinner and saw a rainbow that we were in for so much more. Much to my surprise, the boys were ready to not only attain the goal with me but to enjoy the process of getting there. Rafa got out his notebook and crayons and drew the sunset. Tono sang songs and laughed at himself. We played "I spy". They were continually ready for the next adventure with eyes wide open. We found lakes and hot springs to swim in, playgrounds to romp in, went on a tour of Wind Cave, and each night I put their sleeping bodies in our tent in a new place and each morning they were thrilled to see where we woke up. I was in heaven sharing my sense of adventure and love of travel with my boys who for how long now have grounded me and rooted me in our also beloved home.
In just over two weeks, Rafa will go to kindergarten. I find myself cherishing our time together now working in the garden and swimming in the hot springs. I can think of only one day of Antonio's life that he has spent without his brother at his side. Their closeness is one of my life's greatest joys. It is hard to imagine what a day with only Tono will be like. And yet I am so excited and Rafa has expressed only eagerness to go to kindergarten. I imagine him thriving more than ever and anticipate his new self beaming forward.

No comments:
Post a Comment